"Blessed is he whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgramage." Ps 84:5

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm engaged!!!

Hey everybody, guess what? I'm engaged! Really! God is so good. I am amazed at God's faithfulness and kindness in our relationship and in how he has brought us together and lead us.
I know that some of you have heard already but may not have heard the story. I will now tell it to you with the help of a photo montage.
Sunday night, the 21st, Jean, one of my best friends and former roommate, asked me if I would come pray with her after chapel. She told me she had borrowed the key from our Campus Pastor for Heritage hall, the original chapel and a room frequently used for prayer meetings. I agreed. Jean and I have been long time prayer partners and it seemed normal. So I went up to heritage hall at 10:00pm, the time Jean said she would be up there. I arrived and on the front of the door was a note with my name on it. I opened it up and it said "Go to 4th floor". My heart started pounding! I returned to the staircase and as I climbed there were notes on the steps that said things like, "Keep going!", "Almost there," "A little farther". The door at the top of the stairs said "Open me." I went in and there was another sign with an arrow pointing to The Gathering Place (our super cool guest suite and meeting place. It has the most comfortable furniture on campus!). I went in and one of my favorite chairs was facing the t.v. The chair had a sign instructing me to sit there and the dvd player had a note that said "push play". I sat down and pushed play. The song "Praise you" by fatboy slim started playing. Nate had made a slide show of pictures chronicling our whole relationship along with slides narrating the whole thing. At the very end of the video, as the music died out, the words on the screen read, "And now all I'm wondering is what she will say..."
Then he came out from the hallway where he was hiding. He came to my side, got down on one knee, and asked if I wanted to get married...to him! I had already been crying, but now I was weeping! I said "YES!" through my tears and laughter.
I asked him how he did everything and if Jean helped him make all the signs. He said he had a lot of help and then got up and turned on the light. Suddenly, our closest friends burst through the door leading to the fire escape. They all came in with those party blower things. We hugged and laughed and cried. They had made some special brownies (see below), mostly for my amusement. We then had a tiny engagement party!
Ok, so I'll label the pictures a little bit, but I think you can figure it our for the most part.

Cayla, David, and Jean waiting on the fire escape.



zRight after they came in. I'm still crying. Nate is excited!
Our friend Molly coming to congratulate us!

Reading the card our friends wrote for us.


The fun brownies.



Molly and Jean decided to celebrate by wearing the Ugly Sweaters we made together this summer.
Whitney and Melissa!

Thanks friends!

Here is the question to the first question we are typically asked now: May 23rd, 2009. At least within a few days of that date. That is our tentative dates, it depends on our venue(s).

4 comments:

Melissa Ens said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I saw your blog in my Google Reader and clicked on it I even had the thought "I wonder if she's engaged... and if she'd post it on her blog..." How exciting!!! So cool!!! Now I'm just wondering if your Aunt Helen knows yet and if I should say anything or not. (Though obviously it's not a secret!) Anyway, let me know!!! : )

YAY!!!

Melissa Ens said...

OK... Ignore that part about your Aunt Helen. Apparently she told Lowell about it sometime and he forgot to tell me. Sheesh! Oh well... at least you posted it so now I know!!! : )

Alesha said...

Oh..my...geez.
Actually, I knew it happened--and was waiting to talk to you about this awesome event! What a perfect way to ask you!
Congrats, though I hate to say it through a blog...you look so happy, and I am stoked for the both of you! :)

KatieB said...

Hey Sam- Thanks so much for sharing the stories and the photos! Of course, we are all thrilled for you two, and can't wait for the big day. More importantly, I am so happy because I know that my "little" brother has found someone truly amazing. We are so glad to welcome you to the family! Can't wait to see the ring :)

Lots of love,
Katie