"Blessed is he whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgramage." Ps 84:5

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Do it for Nancy!...and other themes of my Saturday


Yesterday was just a plain awesome day!
I basically hung out with my good friend Nate Prior all day.
Last night was the freshman sponsored Valentines banquet in which there was a swing dancing competition. Seeing as we both knew the same basic steps and had danced together before, Nate and I decided to be partners. We made up almost the whole 1 minute routine yesterday after noon and polished it. After that Nate decided that he was going to need some new black and white Chucks (Chuck Taylor's) to go with his tuxedo, combined to make an dazzling Chuck-xedo, since his other chucks were old. So we drove to Hutch and ended up going to Wal-Mart, the mall, Goodwill, and The Metro coffee house. After that we came back and practiced the routine a bit before the dinner. I had such a great day! I haven't laughed that hard (or continuously) in forever. I missed laughing so hard that my cheeks and stomach hurt.

The swing dance competition was so fun! There was more competition than we expected. The first time we danced we messed up a little and kept going, but thought that we wouldn't win. We were satisfied with our own dancing abilities so didn't really care either way. We went downstairs to get a drink of water and as we were heading back upstairs we heard an announcement that there was going to be a dance off. We ran up to the front just in time to hear our names called as one of the final couples. Everyone had only prepared a one minute routine and were surprised to hear the music go to the end. Nate and I did our routine twice and then improvised until the end. We felt pretty good about our performance but mostly were just having fun. The crazy thing is that we, the awkward and kind of lanky kids, ended up winning!Yay for us!

By now I'm sure you're wondering what the phrase "Do it for Nancy" means. It's sort of an inside joke but not totally. At lunch yesterday Nate, Justin L.( Nate's roommate and my friend), and I were discussing the competition. Justin suggested that we take a bat to our competitions knee, like Tanya Harding did to Nancy Kerrigan. From that one comment thousands of tiny jokes started. By the end of the day we were using Nancy Kerrigan as nouns,verbs, adjectives, and expletives. Good times. Because of her influence of our day we decided to do our dance for Nancy. We thought it was funny.

(note: the top picture is actually Nate and I. I know. Amazing.)

No comments: