"Blessed is he whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgramage." Ps 84:5

Monday, January 23, 2006

My time in London

I've fully recovered from jetlag and am back at school gearing up for second semester, which starts tomorrow.
What can I tell you about my trip to London.

Well first of all it's amazing. Almost everything has some sort of long history or is associated with someone. London feels much more friendly than New York. I do love New York, but it feels so big. In London the buildings are a lot shorter, so you can actually see the sky. It just has a lot of character.

We went to a lot of awesome places: Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls, The Tate (and Tate Modern), The British Museum, The National Gallery, Stratford-upon-Avon, Salisbury, Bath, and Oxford. We also saw three shows. I saw The Producers, Great Expectations (at the Royal Shakespeare Company), and The Woman in White ( The new Andrew-Lloyd Weber musical).
We also rode the tube a lot. That's one of my favorite things about big cities, public transportation.

Overall one of my favorite things was learning so much. It was great to have a whole class before going but also learning so much when I was there. I've never felt so educated about a place I've been.

Other highlights:
Tea
Food
The people
Hostels
Getting to know other people from my college either for the first time or better
Hanging out with Dr.Gannon and his wife. He is retiring after this year and I was honored to get to know him and travel with him even if it was just for a short time.

And now for some pictures!


This dragon tells you when you are entering/leaving London proper





















The Changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace



St. Pauls


Me in front of the stereotypical London pay phone booth.


The Church where Shakespeare is buried







Shakespeare's birthplace





















Stonehenge

One of my favorite pictures from Stratford

No comments: