"Blessed is he whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgramage." Ps 84:5

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sunday Morining Musings

Happy Sunday everyone!
My roomate just got back from church at the First United Methodist. It was a good service, very christmas-y. My favorite part of church is the college sunday school class. I've only been there twice, but the woman who teaches it is wonderful. The first sunday I was there she did the sermon and it was amazing. I appreciate her honesty and vulnerability. It's about 45mins. until the caf starts serving lunch. Not enough time to do anything I need to (like laundry) but enough to blog a bit.

Last night I went to a swing dance on campus. It was pretty fun. There aren't alot of guys that swing dance which is surprising on several levels. First, Sterling used to be BIG on swing dancing. Dances were a regular occurance and people would get really into it. Second, this is a liberal arts college! If guys aren't into dancing here where would they be? It was great though. The hardest part is finding a guy that knows the steps that can also do lifts and throws. Most of the time you can find on or the other. One of my friends (a football guy who can actually dance) was the closest example to the perfect blend I've found for awhile. We did all sorts of crazy lifts but also some good ole' allow-gravity-to-have-it's-way foot work.

After that I watched Saturday Night Live with some friends. Dane Cook, one of my favorite stand-ups, was hosting. It was decent except for his incredibly raunchy monolougue, one of the worst I've seen (though it did have some highlights). To read the transcript of last nights, and many other, SNL's go to this website .

Late in the evening I read a bit from Dana Candler's book Deep unto Deep. I've kind of been in a, I guess, uncomfortable place spiritually. It's just kind of a funky place. It's like this constant argument in my head that goes something like this:

Hmmm... I think I'll go hang out with Jesus. I haven't done that a lot lately and I miss it.

But I could take a nap. Naps are good.

But I love Jesus. Jesus, I really do want to hang out with you.
Jesus, I want to love you more. Though my spirit is willing my flesh is weak.

It's like I can't feel you, but I know you're there.

ARRRG!


Reading that book helps me put things into perspective. Here are some passages I found very helpful. This is from the chapter "Seasons of Relevance".

"But what of the seasons that are not necessarily winter, they are neither spring nor summer nor fall?...

It is the "in between" periods that leave us most disillusioned.

There relevance is not guarunteed to reveal itself in this life. We may never understand the gold of these days until the age to come when the Lord pulls bakc the veil and unlocks their divine job descriptions and prupose. Yet we can rest in their importance simply by the truth that He placed them unavoidably in our path and, therefore, has hidden worth withing their chambers. They are menial and mundane to our understandings and we only wish that we could be rid of them a get onto the real dramas of knowing and loving Him. Yet something about our God loves these blah passages and finds great purpose in their contribution.
The most important thing for us to know and believe is that the Holy Spirit is leading us continualy and strategically forwanrd in our love and knowledge of God."

That's some good stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to succumb to the blog craze. Many people abuse blogs with random boring things about their day. But real bloggers fill there blogs with important stuff. If not to other people at least to themselves. I can't say that I'm up there with good bloggers, but I'm definately trying to wriggle my way in, and it looks like you are to. Talk to you soon, and good thoughts. Way to think. Thinking is fabulous.

Love,
Ellen